Saturday, September 27, 2008

Debate 1: Obama supporters disappointed

First off, I wouldn't say that I'm a die-hard Obama supporter (I wanted Hillary, after Joe and John dropped out), but I am excited about Obama now.

I was disappointed by the debate. I thought the winner was John McCain, hands down. I was looking for a knockout punch like the rest of them. Short of that, I wanted to see Obama become a little scrappy in a righteous sort of way. The facts and right answers were on his side, but trying to feel objective, I felt he didn't push the presidential factor enough. He was thoughtful, and in command of the facts, but there were definitely points he should have scored in a more direct way.

When McCain talked about cutting spending, Obama should have hit him hard on areas where spending shouldn't be cut, and where taxes shouldn't be cut. Why wasn't our record deficit mentioned?

Well, it was a foreign policy debate. I get it. But Obama could have easily knocked McCain down a few more notches. I think it's a question of style. I hope Obama can break out of his well-exposed character and show a little more steel.

Funny thing, I don't think as an Obama supporter I'm alone in my assessment of his performance. I think quite a few of us thought McCain won. I'm pleased that the media doesn't see it that way, but I wonder if that just illustrates that they're no longer in the tank for McCain. That would be good. Maybe I don't have to hold my breath any longer.

Let's hope Obama doesn't rest on his laurels over this. He needs to stay aggressive and take this all the way to end.

No comments: